Monday, November 21, 2011

Seoul and Wenzhou

     I'm new comer in Seoul, the capital city of South Korea. Walking on the streets, the unfamiliar Korea words always keep me reminded that this is not my place.But the reason I came here is to experience, to have a insight of Korean culture while studying in SeoulTech. Although I can't understand most of the language, but the sense of the city can be perfectly perceived through my eyes, my ears and my nose.I'm very thrilled that I could find many similarities between Seoul and my hometown city Wenzhou even though they are several thousands miles away in two different countries.
     Like my hometown Wenzhou, the downtown was developed along a river stretching quietly towards the sea. The Hangang river has been nurturing the people of South Korea for thousands years. Likewise,in my hometown there's a river named Oujiang which has been a cultural symbol for the people living in the city. Along the rivers stand a lot of tall buildings that constituted and witnessed the prosperity for both cities. Here's another common point between these two cities, the colorful night life. Last week I went to the biggest pub in Seoul. It was so fascinating that people were all diving in the joyful atmosphere with lights keeping shining and flashing. In Wenzhou there may be not as many pubs as in Seoul, but the feelings it brings stimulated by alcohol are quite the same. People get relaxed while totally losing themselves into the music.
     As for the differences, the most obvious one is the public transportation. Seoul is more like Shanghai, there's a well developed subway system, it's a big city with a population more than 10 million. In contrast in Wenzhou there are some tricycle running on the streets, which is a part of the uniqueness of Wenzhou. What's more, both cities are very friendly to businesses, but the difference is that the big multinationals is playing the major role in Seoul while in Wenzhou many more small and medium enterprises. People of Wenzhou are famous for business smell and therefore are considered as the Jewry of east.
     Seoul and Wenzhou, which look similar in appearance but the spirits are quite different deeply down in the culture. The similarities only spring up my recollection of my hometown, there's no place can replace Wenzhou in my heart. I miss the food, familiar streets, and the sound of the dialect echoing in my mind.


                                    Seoul




                                     Wenzhou






2 comments:

  1. Your hometown is in country side i feel but more peaceful than
    Seoul~I like it~~~:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not in country side, just not as big as Seoul, actually it's not peaceful but I'm a city boy, I like living in city :). Sorry I didn't make it clear in the article. We have a harbour, a airport, two train stations, and subway in plan and 8million population.

    ReplyDelete